Making is a bi-annual themed publication of projects for knitters and makers. This issue of No. 7 / Desert includes 1 crochet project, 12 knitting projects, 1 hook rug project, 2 recipes, 10 sewing/embroidery/quilting projects. Projects range from household accessories, garments, table decorations, pillows, and children's toys.
No. 7 / DESERT includes projects by Kim Hamlin, Lauren Holton, Sanae Ishida, Kristine Vejar, Maddison Wilkerson, Lauren Patterson, Lupine Marshak, Cal Patch, Julie Weisenberger, Paula Pereira, Norah Gaughan, Susan B Anderson, Helga Isager, Bristol Ivy, and Carrie Bostick Hoge.
Read the No. 7 / DESERT Land Acknowledgement
KNIT • SEW • QUILT • WEAVE • EMBROIDER • CROCHET • NEEDLE FELT • RECIPES + MORE
Making is a bi-annual themed publication of projects for knitters and makers.
Join editor, photographer, and designer, Carrie Bostick Hoge, on this exciting project that brings crafts people with different areas of focus to one publication.
The act of making helps to connect us to the past, knowing that many craft skills were practiced daily out of necessity. We also connect to our present, as we stop to slow down and enjoy the work at hand, leaving behind the stress of our busy days. And, possibly at the heart of our creations, is the future. As the sweater we knit or the blanket we quilt becomes an heirloom for our family to use, enjoy, and pass down to the next generation. Circling back and tying us to the past. All these connections are equally important and help to bring meaning and value to the beauty and utility we make.
The following projects are included in this issue. Please click any link below to go directly to the knitting/crochet kit which includes this issue, yarn, accessories to complete the project!
- Cereus Socks by Fiona Alice
- Desert Tunic by Carrie Bostick Hoge
- Huala Tee by Paula Pereira
- Knitted 4-Corner Bags by Julie Weisenberger
- Mariposa Jacket by Helga Isager
- Rag Jackrabbit by Susan B. Anderson
- Shifting Sands Pullover by Norah Gaughan
- Xerophyte Shawl by Amy van de Laar
- Yardang Shawl by Bristol Ivy
Macramé Plant Hangerby Lauren Patterson
- Pork Carnitas with Corn Totillas, Wild Greens, Pickled Red Onions by Aaren Lisbeth Ross
- Roasted Tomatillo Salsa by Aaren Lisbeth Ross
- Scratch-made "Milkmaid" cheese by Aaren Lisbeth Ross
- Pico de Gallo by Aaren Lisbeth Ross
- Smoky Mezcal Paloma by Aaren Lisbeth Ross
Needle Felt Cactus by Kimberly Hamlin
Needlepoint Coaster by Ellen Johnson
Child’s Backpack and Animal Keychain by Sanae Ishida
Desert Posy Embroidery by Lauren Holton
Emerald Dress by Rae Hoekstra
Landscape Portrait Wall Hanging by Kristine Vejar
- Notched Leggings by Cal Patch
Pleated Pot Holders by Carolyn Friedlander
Tool Rolls by Arounna Khounnoraj
Wrap Closure Leather Clutch by Lupine Marshak
Striped Canyon Throw by Maddi West Wilkerson
published in 2019
Making is published by Madder in Maine
Images courtesy of Madder/Carrie Bostick Hoge, Jessica Lewis Stevens, Whitney Hayward & Leila Raabe, PurlSoho