Making is a bi-annual themed publication of projects for knitters and makers. This issue of No. 9 / Simple includes 12 knitting projects, 1 punch needle project, 4 sewing/embroidery/quilting projects and screen printing, handpainting & dyeing projects, too. Projects range from household accessories, garments, bags, rugs, and children's toys.
This issue was photographed on the beaches of Phippsburg, Maine, on the traditional homelands of the people of the Abenaki tribe. The Abenaki tribe is composed of many smaller groups and tribes spread over New England and Eastern Canada, all speaking related dialects of the Algonquian language – Algonquian meaning “people from the east.” Phippsburg was one of the summer villages of the tribe and a place of fishing, hunting, farming, and gathering.
KNIT • SEW • QUILT • WEAVE • EMBROIDER • CROCHET • NEEDLE FELT • RECIPES + MORE
Join editor, photographer, and designer, Carrie Bostick Hoge of Madder, on this exciting project that brings crafts people with different areas of focus to one publication.
The act of making helps to connect us to the past, knowing that many craft skills were practiced daily out of necessity. We also connect to our present, as we stop to slow down and enjoy the work at hand, leaving behind the stress of our busy days. And, possibly at the heart of our creations, is the future. As the sweater we knit or the blanket we quilt becomes an heirloom for our family to use, enjoy, and pass down to the next generation. Circling back and tying us to the past. All these connections are equally important and help to bring meaning and value to the beauty and utility we make.
The following projects are included in this issue. Please click any link below to go directly to the knitting/crochet kit which includes this issue, yarn, accessories to complete the project!
- Beachside Pullover by Katrin Schneider
- Eyelet Pullover by Orlane Sucche
- Kaze Shawl by Eri Shimizu
- Lighthouse Cardigan by Brandi Cheyenne Harper
- Lomo Shawl by Bristol Ivy
- Milkweed Pullover by Pam Allen
- Plover Cardigan by Jacqueline Cieslak
- Simple Bird Nest by Susan B Anderson
- Simple Scarf by Vanessa Coscarelli Black
- Simple Slippers by Cal Patch
- South Turner Hat by Leila Raven
- Yucca Blossom Hat by Jennifer Berg
Punch Needle Work
- Punch Needle Rug by Arounna Khounnoraj
- Coastal Glasses Case by Aneela Hoey
- Everyday Utensil Roll by Kristine Vejar
- Halfmoon Strand Dress/Top by Meghann Halfmoon
- Pepin Tote by Anna Graham
Screen Printing & Dyeing
- Bundle-Dyed Fabric by Jessica Unsell
- Screen Printed Picnic Blanket by Jen Hewett (sewing involved as well)
- Handpainted Beeswax Wraps
published in 2020
Making is published by Madder in Maine
Images courtesy of Madder/Carrie Bostick Hoge& Andrea Yousling